Roland|Criss is the oldest Governance, Risk, and Compliance management consulting firm in the U.S. specializing in the employee benefit plan market that does not conflict its services with investment advice, recordkeeping, or custodian services.
Without interruption since 1994, we have been solving problems for organizations that are charged with the legal duty of managing other people’s money. We have helped our clients acquire the vital advantage needed to survive, grow, and prosper safely.
Here are just a few examples…
- Established the Trustee Training Institute for retirement plan sponsors in 1994 and later aligned its programs with the Global Fiduciary Standard of Excellence developed by the Foundation for Fiduciary Studies.
- In 2002 introduced FiduciaryPLUS™, the first comprehensive governance, compliance, and risk management system for U.S. based corporate retirement plan sponsors.
- Using emerging Internet technology in 2004, developed Netdoc.rc an encrypted electronic document storage and retrieval system for our clients’ use.
- In 2005 pioneered the Investment Steward Practices Rating™ (ISP Rating™), which helps fiduciary organizations learn how well their practices align with relevant laws and best practices and how to improve.
- Selected by CEFEX in 2006 to conduct the first global assessments of investment managers, investment advisors, investment stewards, and recordkeepers for certification.
- Led the formation of the Investment Fiduciary Leadership Council, Inc. in 2007 with current membership on four continents.
- In 2010 provided leadership to a task force of nonprofit industry executives that resulted in the development of a fiduciary standard titled Stewardship Excellence Guidelines for Endowments and Foundations.
- In 2011 initiated the Charitable Trust Leadership Forum, a non-profit industry think tank focused on improving stewardship competency.
- Introduced in 2012 an assurance audit for retirement plan sponsors to help them meet the compliance requirements of a new fee disclosure law imposed by ERISA Regulation 408(b)(2).
- In 2014 upgraded the ISP Rating to the Qualified Plan Review Rating™ (“QPR Rating™”) in order to help plan sponsors align with the newly available fiduciary standard Retirement Plan Administrator: Scope and Conduct.
- In 2016 introduced for ERISA plan sponsors FiduciaryGRC™ the first computer based system of internal controls that automates required fiduciary processes.
We have been involved in some of the most visible fiduciary related events of the last decade. The rescue of retirement plans from improper vendor arrangements that gained headlines in the early 2000’s, installation of improved checks and balances for non-profits in the wake of the Madoff scandal, legal defense of retirement plan sponsors during the recent surge of law suits for breaches of fiduciary duty, and qualification of the best investment services related vendors through direct attestations.
Roland|Criss…your partner in fiduciary excellence.
Please contact us for more information on how our experience improves better outcomes.